Useful Immune System Supplements begin with a basic multiple vitamin/mineral that includes all of the essential vitamins and minerals plus the important antioxidant nutrients. Care must also be taken with one’s diet to obtain sufficient dietary proteins and L-amino-acids which help form the Immune System tissues and antibodies, along with essential fatty acids.
A basic Immune System Supplement should include at least 100% of the RDA for pyridoxine, pantothenic acid, and folic acid. These vitamins are needed for proper protein production along with magnesium and zinc for cell and tissue health. In addition, 100% of the RDA amounts of the anti-oxidant vitamins C, E, A, and beta-carotene and the minerals Zinc, Selenium, Copper, and Manganese should also be present in the basic multiple vitamin/mineral Immune System Supplement.
This type of Supplement for Immune Systems, functions as a preventative supplement and is designed for individuals who have excellent dietary habits, a healthy lifestyle, and are in good health. Life Zone’s “Basic plus” provides that type of a basic Immune System Supplement and has been formulated to meet all of the basic bodies Immune System needs.
- A deficiency of Vitamin A can reduce cellular immunity, slow tissue healing, increase infection rate, lower IgA levels which affect the defense of mucous membranes.
- A deficiency of Vitamin C can decrease phagocyte function, reduce cellular protection against various microbes, slow wound healing, reduce production of interferon, and with lower levels of bioflavonoids have less anti-inflammatory protection.
- A deficiency of Vitamin E can decrease antibody production and response, and if there is a selenium deficiency will lower cell-membrane integrity.
- A deficiency of Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) impacts the ability to maintain electron balance.
- A deficiency of Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) can lower humoral immunity and increase irritation from stress.
- A deficiency of Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) can lessen cellular immunity and slow energy metabolism.
- A deficiency of Vitamin B12 can decrease lymphocyte proliferation and PMN bacteriocidal activity.
- A deficiency of Folic Acid can reduce blood cell production and may increase susceptibility to cervical cancer.
- A deficiency of Zinc can decrease T and B cell function, thymic hormones, increase infection rates and slow healing.
- A deficiency of Iron can decrease cellular immunity and neutrophil activity.
- A deficiency of Selenium along with a vitamin E deficiency can lower antibody response and increase cellular carcinogenosis.
- A deficiency of Copper can lower resistance to infection.
- A deficiency of Iodine lessens the neutrophil killing of microbial invaders.
Zinc, copper and manganese all help to reduce superoxides through the Superoxide Dismutase Enzyme. Selenium supports the production of the enzyme Glutathione Peroxidase which counteracts peroxides, stimulates immune response and protects against many toxins.
Taking a quality multiple vitamin/mineral supplement will enhance Immune System Supplement needs and provide a foundation for building good health while providing protective help to the Immune System.