EWG’S report identifies the six worst brands of bottled water you can buy
1. Whole Foods Italian Still Mineral Water
2. Vintage Natural Spring Water
3. Sahara Premium Drinking Water
4. O Water Sport Electrolyte
5. Enhanced Purified Drinking Water
6. Market Basket Natural Spring Water
7. Cumby’s Spring Water
Answers to three critical questions should be on all bottled water’s labels:
1. Where does the water come from?
2. Is it purified and if so, how?
3. Is the water tested, and what, if any, contaminants have been found?
Nine of the top ten best-selling brands fail to provide answers to these three questions, and, according to EWG of the 173 bottled water products they surveyed only Nestle’s Pure Life Purified Water discloses this information on their label along with information for requesting a water quality test report.
The three brands that earned EWG’S highest possible rating are:
1. Nestle Pure Life Purified Water
2. Gerber Pure Purified Water
3. Penta Ultra-Purified Water
Did you know that40 % of all bottled water is regular tap water which may not receive any additional treatment? In fact, most municipal tap water must adhere to stricter purity standards than the bottled water industry. The EPA requires large public water suppliers to test for contaminants as often as several times a day but the FDA requires private bottlers to test for contaminants only one a week, once a year, or once every four years, depending on the contaminant. The EWG revealed 3 low-level contaminants in bottled water with ten tested brands containing an average of 8 chemicals including:
1. Disinfection by products (DBPs)
5. Industrial chemicals
Another hazard that can be found in both tap and bottled water is fluoride. Many companies add it to their bottled water. And, the bottle itself can contaminant the water inside of it. Plastic bottles contain a variety of health harming chemicals that can leach out and contaminate the water such as:
1. Cancer causing PFOAs
2. PBDEs (flame retardant chemicals) which have been linked to reproductive problems and altered thyroid levels
3. The reproductive toxin, phthalates
4. BPA which disrupts the endocrine system by mimicking the female hormone estrogen
If you leave your water bottle in a hot car, or reuse it, your exposure is magnified because heat and stress increase the amount of chemicals that leach out of the plastic. Your water bottle container needs to receive just as much attention as the water itself, and plastic is simply not a wise choice from a health perspective, not to mention the extreme amounts of toxic waste put into the environment.
The EWG end their report with the preferred choice recommendation to drink filtered tap water and Reverse Osmosis with triple charcoal filtration. Chose a unit that is NSF certified which will address all of the chemicals found in well water, urban water supplies along with any lead that might leach into the water if your residence has old plumbing. A whole house water filter is best for removing chlorine and bacteria and other impurities. For drinking purposes the Reverse Osmosis is the overall best option because it will remove fluoride and other very difficult contaminants in the water besides chlorine, bacteria, and drugs.